Home Greek islands Around 2,500 travelers stranded in ferry controls in past three days, minister says

Around 2,500 travelers stranded in ferry controls in past three days, minister says

0


[Intime News]

Around 2,500 people have been banned from boarding ferries to the Greek islands in the past three days alone because they did not have the required documents, Marine Minister Giannis Plakiotakis said on Monday.

The Coast Guard has been tasked with verifying that public health security measures have been observed at ports since July 13, as Greek and foreign tourists traveling to and from the islands are behind the surge in coronavirus infections.

Plakiotakis admitted that before the coast guard took over from the port authorities, controls were “insufficient”.

“This is why the coast guard took over the checks before boarding,” he told Open TV on Monday.

Greek authorities have had to tighten health rules amid a spike in new infections in some popular summer destinations. On Sunday, they announced a five-hour nighttime curfew and a 24-hour music ban in bars, cafes and restaurants on the Cycladic island of Mykonos, while Deputy Minister of Civil Protection Nikos Hardalias last week warned that the government is “a step” before imposing restrictions on Santorini, Paros, Ios and Rethymno and Iraklio in Crete.

Travelers to the islands must present either a Covid-19 vaccination certificate, proof of recent recovery from the virus, a negative PCR test carried out within 72 hours of departure or a negative rapid test carried out 42 hours before travel.

From July 16, unvaccinated travelers returning to mainland Greece will be required to present a negative self-test or rapid test to board a ferry.